Valley Center Animal Control

What plants cause kidney failure in dogs?

August 27, 2013 – 14:24

Northampton County municipalities discuss regionalizing stray

Lilies are lovely flowers, but dangerous for dogs.

Medioimages / Photodisc / Photodisc / Getty Images

While there are many elements in the environment that are dangerous to dogs if they eat plants are a particular problem because they can grow in yards, parks and gardens, where animals are given the freedom to run. Owners may not be aware of the ingestion of a poison until your pet begins to show signs of unusual behavior or illness.


The lilies can be toxic for dogs and cats. Drooling and vomiting may be the first signs of poisoning lily. Dog owners should be alert during the holidays where those flowers may be present. The lilies are also growing along roadsides and can be as close as the flower garden of a neighbor. According to the website Entirely Pets "the lilies, tiger lilies, Japanese lilies, rubrum lilies, many lily hybrids and day lilies have been known to cause kidney failure" in the dogs.


Ingestion of even a few leaves of an azalea or rhododendron, has the potential to kill a dog, according to Vet Info website. The Poison Control Center at the ASPCA Animal says: "the toxic principle interferes with normal skeletal muscle, cardiac muscle and nerve function." Dogs can experience coma, paralysis and heart failure. According to the Animal Referral Center Fox Valley, poisonous plant poisoning can cause kidney failure. Symptoms of the disease vary. If a dog becomes tired or sluggish than usual for no discernible reason or drool, owners must consider the possibility that there has been a poisoning.


When ingested, the pothos (Scindaspus aureus), also known as devil's ivy, can cause kidney damage by calcium oxalate poisoning. Similar to what happens when a dog drinks antifreeze, low calcium levels occur because the plant oxalate binds with calcium in the blood. This can lead to kidney failure and irreversible renal damage. Inflammation of the throat and mouth irritation can be one of the first symptoms of poisoning.

Castor oil plant

All parts of the plant contain ricin castor and consuming even a small amount of castor seeds can cause death. According to the Animal Referral Center of Fox Valley, eating castor seeds can cause kidney and liver disease in dogs. Signs that your pet may have consumed a poisonous plant are diarrhea and vomiting, are indications that the animal body is trying to get rid of toxic substances. The changes in the behaviors of escape and a decrease in going out can be a warning signal that something is wrong with your pet. In any situation in which it is suspected that a pet has ingested a dangerous plant, contact your veterinarian or the Poison Control Center of the ASPCA.


Related posts:

  1. Indiana State Animal Control
  2. Virginia Animal Control Fox
  3. Virginia Beach Animal Control
  4. Virginia Animal Control